TL2024 from .iso fail under cygwin (win11 pro)

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Apr 24 22:59:30 CEST 2024

Hi Pablo,

    I could only install the `sheme-medium` theme (which does NOT
    install the `epstopdf` script

BTW, you can run
  tlmgr install epstopdf
to just install that package.

    which is strange),

scheme-medium includes epstopdf (1426 + infra packages in all).

    /usr/local/bin/tlmgr: TLPDB::from_file could not initialize from:
    https://ctan.dcc.uchile.cl/systems/texlive/tlnet/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb

This error doesn't seem to have anything to do with context, or
epstopdf, or an specific package, but rather that communication with
that mirror did not succeed. Although I don't have any trouble visiting
it in my browser.  (It would be nice if tlmgr reported the actual error
in such cases, but oh well.)

I suggest explicitly choosing another mirror from https://ctan.org/mirrors
to see if it's about the mirror. Else it's probably something on your
local system (cygwin versions, perl versions, network ... dunno ...).

Hope this helps somehow,
Karl