How to make fonts bigger in **plain tex** math mode?

Jim Diamond jim+acadia at jdvb.ca
Thu May 4 20:51:01 CEST 2023

On Thu, May  4, 2023 at 19:21 (+0100), Philip Taylor (Hellenic Institute) wrote:

> On 04/05/2023 19:17, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> The safest way to transfer computer code is to compress it.  The mime
> type is then 'application/octet-stream' and mail programs don't touch
> files of this type.  An other advantage (apart from the smaller size)
> is that if the file is damaged for some reason or another during
> tranport the de-compressor will most likely abort with an error message.

> I do not dispute for one second the wisdom of your words, Reinhard, but
> if one's preferred e-mail client does not support on-the-fly compression,
> that is a major obstacle to its adoption ...

That is a fair point.  However, sending code as an attachment is (I'd
hazard a guess) well-supported by most email programs.

More to the point in this case, it would avoid the problem of typing code
into a mail program which fervently believes the user is typing HTML code,
and tries to be "helpful" by converting strings of N>1 spaces into N-1
unbreakable spaces followed by 1 space.

(It would seem Thunderbird does this for at least some configurations, and
I'll bet that some other mail programs are equally annoying.)

                                Jim