Knuth-Plass: adjacent demerits on the first line

Didier Verna didier at didierverna.net
Tue May 9 18:59:44 CEST 2023

Karl Berry wrote:

> I think Didier missed a detail: you get adj_demerits only when the
> fitness changes by greater than 1. So, the first line of a paragraph
> gets adj_demerits only when it's very_loose_fit;

  I didn't miss that actually, but my formulation (favoring a first line
  as close to natural spacing as possible) was admittedly not very
  accurate, sorry.

> and that seems like a reasonable design decision. Oh, and especially
> when you consider that the last line of the previous paragraph is
> extremely unlikely to actually have been set as very_loose_fit

  Now, /that/ makes a lot of sense indeed!

Thanks (also to the other contributors to the thread).

--
Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.

Lisp, Jazz, Aïkido: http://www.didierverna.info